Insurance Landing Page

Understanding users needs and expectations


Our partner Independer is the largest digital comparison and advice platform in the Netherlands for insurance and banking products, mortgages and energy. I worked as part of the iptiQ team, a global InsurTech providing digital insurance platforms, underwriting capabilities and life and non-life insurance products.

For a brand-new household insurance product we had to create a landing page (LP). In the first iteration, this was linked to Independer aggregator where the insurance was sold. In the second stage, instead of being linked with only an aggregator, the user could also go through the sales journey on the Mintley website.

Problem, challenges and solution

Problem statement: As a user I need to quickly understand what this product is about and if it fits my needs so that I can proceed to get a quote to get insured.


  • Users need a quick, positive overview of a brand before continuing their sales journey.
  • Uncover what’s the best Information Architecture for our Landing Pages to fit real user’s needs and expectations
  • Deliver a Hi-Fi to our partner before the deadline, the LP couldn’t be too difficult to implement as needed to be delivered in short period of time.
  • Built trust on users for a new brand in the competitive dutch insurance market.
  • Our first Dutch landing page launch involved understanding unique user needs and expectations.

Solution: Defined an Information Architecture (IA) that fits users’ expectations & needs based on research insights and created Hi-Fi designs.



UX Designer, UX Researcher


Dec 2021 - Jan 2022


Card Sorting, Interviews, Empathy Mapping, Affinity Mapping, Mid-fi, Hi-Fi wireframing.


UXTweak, Miro, Figma, Mouseflow, Tableau, Confluence.


UX designer (Me), a UX researcher, a content writer, a project manager, marketing, data analysts, and engineering team.

Defining the problem

Research Planning


To better understand past and current behaviours, needs, and expectations of our users in general regarding insurance landing pages.


We decided to approach this by triangulating data from card sorting, interviews and data analysis from Tableau and Mouseflow.

  • Data analysis: We started analysing data we already own as video recordings, information about engagement time, time per visit, most clicked sections, etc and performance data of our current LPs for other partners to better understand users’ behaviours.
  • Interviews: We conducted 10 interviews with dutch people to understand the needs and expectations of the users.
  • Card sorting: We sent out a card sorting exercise to 20 participants to understand what users want and expect to see in the LP and what’s more important for them.


  • Users with a good relationship & good previous experience with their current insurance won't be interested in switching.
  • Users that visit our LP are already interested in switching and looking actively for other companies.
  • Users will get to the LP via organic search after seeing it on the aggregator to know more about the brand and understand if it’s trustworthy.
  • Most people need more than 2 touch points

Card Sorting

  • Users need to trust in the insurance company
  • Users want to know what's the added value of the company
  • Users want to know how to switch

Research Process Overview

Interviews insights are organised in an affinity diagram to identify patterns and themes in the data

Clustered insights into an empathy map to understand users' needs, pain points and external facts that affect their decisions/behaviour.

The card sorting analysis allowed us to understand the distribution of cards across standardised categories with a higher percentage of agreement.

Based on the card sorting and interview findings we created an LP structure template. Explanation of Main Outcomes

Main Outcomes

Empathy Map

This helped us to take into account different areas and not just needs as there are factors around them that also affect how they interact with it and what they expect. We analysed pains and gains, what type of actions they take to solve them and what we should do to address the different pain points.

Landing Page Template

We triangulated the information from analytics, interviews and card sorting. Based on the users' needs we defined each section needed to focus on specific users’ priorities, needs and expectations we uncovered in the research. This was used as starting point in the solution definition when we did a competitor analysis and started wireframing ideas. The goal with this template is to be able to reuse it and validate it (via a survey) for different stakeholders, markets and partners.

Defining the problem

Once we finished the research we took the following steps:

Design process overview

Semantic Diagram workshop

Brand Library

Competitive analysis and Mi-fi designs per section

Final Hi-Fi

Designs were handed over and implemented. If you want to check implemented designs click on this link


Main learnings

📚 Card Sorting

We used too many categories and cards in the card sorting so it was more difficult to have significant percentages of agreement.

⏳ Time constrains

Even if we got many good ideas on how to solve the problem we prioritised simpler designs to achieve the launch on the expected date. We aim to iterate and learn from its performance.

🤝 Focus on trust

As a new brand, we needed to put more effort into building confidence and building trust in users. It was difficult to provide the right trust-building elements.


This comparison was done taking the average data of other partner LPs:


150% higher

Visit time:

Increased from 40s to 2minutes

We need to analyse this data carefully as was taken two months after it launched and it was just linked with the aggregator. This means users actively searched online for the brand (as is new in the dutch market) and they were interested in getting to know more about it.